Work / Research
One of my hobbies is radio sailing in the International One Metre Class. I started in the Marblehead class in 1994 and switched to the IOM around 1999. Since 2008 I have also sailed a MicroMagic. I like all aspects of the hobby: designing, building, trimming, and racing. I've made a list of Model Boats I've owned.
I'm also interested in computer aided manufacturing, specifically how to control CNC machines with LinuxCNC(formerly EMC), and how to calculate toolpaths. Together with a friend I've built a 3-axis CNC-mill, and more recently I'm working on a CNC-lathe project. I've made a small contribution to the LinuxCNC project in the form of pyVCP (python visual control panel). I have an experimental C++ library for 3D milling toolpath generation called opencamlib and another for 2D toolpaths called openvoronoi.
- 2012 June 2nd, Stockholm marathon, 4h 0m 34s
- 2011 November 5th, Rautaveden maraton, 42.2k, 4h 12m 40s (5:57/km), avgHR157
- 2010 August 14th, Helsinki City Marathon, 42.2k, 4h 42min
- 2012 July 20th, Jakob-halvmaraton, 21.1k, 1:41:52 (4:49/km), avgHR164
- 2011 May 7th, Helsinki City Run, half-marathon, 21.1km, 1:52:57 (5:21/km), avgHR162
- 2010 July 23rd, Jakob-halvmarathon, half-marathon, 21.1km, 1:50:39 (5:14/km), avgHR 164
- 2010 June 12th, Forssan suvi-ilta, half-marathon, 21.1km, 1:57:22 (5:32/km), avgHR 164
- 2010 May 8th, Helsinki City Run, half-marathon, 21.1km, 2:12:59 (6:18/km), avgHR 163
A list of longer rides
- 2011 Aug 19th, 51 km ringroad
- 2011 Aug 6th, 106 km, Eskilom-Luumäki
- 2011 Aug 5th, 87 km, Helsinki-Eskilom
- 2011 Jul 10th, 108 km, Tammisaari-Helsinki
- 2011 Jul 3rd, 108 km, Helsinki-Tammisaari
- 2011 Jun 24th, 51 km, ringroad
- 2011 Jun 15th, 44 km, vuosaari
- 2011 Jun 11th, 50 km, ringroad
- 2011 Apr 24th, 109 km, Helsinki-Tammisaari
You can contact me on anders.e.e.wallin "at" gmail.com
Here follows an informal CV:
- 1997, matriculation examination from Gymnasiet Svenska Normallyceum
- 1997-1998, 11 months of military service in the Finnish Navy.
- 2002, M.Sc. in Physics, University of Helsinki, Department of Physical Sciences.
- 2003-2010, PhD studies in Physics/Biophysics at the University of Helsinki. A joint project between the Department of Physical Sciences and the Institute of Biotechnology.
- 2011, PhD in Physics, University of Helsinki.
Peer-reviewed Scientific Publications
I defended my PhD thesis on 24th of May 2011. The thesis consists of a summary of papers 1-4: Wallin Anders, "Optical Tweezers for Single Molecule Biology", University of Helsinki 2011, HU-P-D181, ISBN 978-952-10-6879-9 (print), ISBN 978-952-10-6880-5 (PDF). ISSN 0356-0961.
- A. E. Wallin, A. Salmi, and R. Tuma (2007) "Step Length Measurement - Theory and Simulation for tethered Bead Constant-Force Single Molecule Assay", Biophysical Journal (doi:10.1529/biophysj.106.097915) (Open Access on PubMed: PMC1913155)
- A. E. Wallin, H. Ojala, E. Haeggström, and R. Tuma (2008), "Stiffer optical tweezers through real-time feedback control," Applied Physics Letters 92 224104 (doi:10.1063/1.2940339) (Open Access through WRRO)
- H. Ojala, A. Korsbäck, A.E. Wallin, and E. Haeggström, "Optical position-clamping with predictive control", Applied Physics Letters 95 181104 (2009). (doi:10.1063/1.3257693) (Open Access through HELDA: http://hdl.handle.net/10138/14966)
- A. E. Wallin, H. Ojala, G. Ziedaite, and E. Hæggström, (2011), “Dual-trap optical tweezers with real-time force clamp control”, Review of Scientific Instruments 82 083102. (DOI: 10.1063/1.3615309). Also selected for Vir. J. Bio. Phys. Res. 22 (4) (Open Access through HELDA: http://hdl.handle.net/10138/27789)
- Anders E. Wallin, Heikki Ojala, Gabija Žiedait?, Linda Degerth, Dennis Bamford, and Edward Hæggström, High-resolution optical tweezers for investigating DNA binding/translocating molecular motors, Proc SPIE 7400 (2009) (doi:10.1117/12.826470)
- Jelena Telenius, Anders E Wallin, Michal Straka, Hongbo Zhang, Erika J. Mancinid and Roman Tuma, "RNA packaging motor: From structure to quantum mechanical modeling and sequential-stochastic mechanism", Proceedings of the 2nd Mathematical Virology Workshop.
- Anders E. Wallin, Heikki Ojala, Anders Korsbäck, Edward Haeggström, Roman Tuma (2007) "Real-time control of optical tweezers", Proceedings of SPIE, 6644 Optical Trapping and Optical Micromanipulation IV, SPIE Optics and Photonics, San Diego, California, 26 - 30 August 2007. (doi:10.1117/12.737269)
I have reviewed papers for: Nano Letters, Optics Express, Review of Scientific Instruments (2011), and Applied Physics B.
At Töölönlahti with Italiko IOM yacht in May 2003.
- 2011, poster at Biophysical Society Annual Meeting, March 5-9, 2011, Baltimore, MD, USA
- 2010, poster at Biophysical Society Annual Meeting, February 20-24 2010, San Francisco, CA, USA
- 2009, contributed talk and paper: "High-resolution optical tweezers for investigating DNA binding/translocating molecular motors", SPIE Optics & Photonics August 2-4, 2009, San Diego, CA, USA.
- 2009, poster at Biophysical Society Annual Meeting, Feb 28 - March 4, 2009, Boston, MA, USA
- 2008, poster at 1st International Symposium on Optical Tweezers in Life Sciences, Berlin, Germany, 15 May 2008.
- 2007 contributed talk and paper: "Real-Time control of optical tweezers", A.E. Wallin, H. Ojala, A. Korsbäck, E. Haeggström, and R. Tuma. SPIE Optics and Photonics, San Diego, California, August 26 - 30, 2007.
- 2007 poster: Wallin, A., Ojala, H., KorsbÃ¤ck, A., Haeggström, E., Tuma, R., "Feedback Controlled Optical Tweezers", Trends in Optical Micromanipulation, Obergurgl, Austria, 4-9 Feb 2007
- 2007, poster at Biophysical Society 51st Annual Meeting, Baltimore, Maryland, 3-7 March 2007
- 2007, poster: A. Wallin and H., "FPGA-Based Real-Time Feedback Control of Optical Tweezers", NIWeek 2007, Austin, Texas, 7-9 August 2007 (My paper was chosen as a category winner in the paper contest!)
- 2007, poster: Wallin, A., Ojala, H., Haeggström, E. and Tuma, R., "Shaping An Optical Trap Using Feedback Control", Finnish Physics Days 2007, Tallinn, Estonia, 15-17 March 2007
- 2007, poster at Nanoscience Days, University of Jyväskylä, Finland, 25-26 October 2007
- 2006, poster: Anders E. Wallin, Ari Salmi, Roman Tuma. "How thermal noise limits resolution in tethered bead, constant force, single molecule experiments - theory and simulation", Biophysical Society 50th Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, Utah, 18-22 Feb 2006
- 2006, contributed talk "Force-extension measurements on single-stranded RNA using optical tweezers", A.E. Wallin, J. Lisal, and R. Tuma, Finnish Physics Days 2006, 9-11 Mar 2006, Tampere, Finland
- 2005, poster: A. Wallin and R. Tuma, "Beam-stabilized High Resolution Optical Tweezers", Biophysical Society 49th Annual Meeting, Long Beach, California, 12-16 Feb 2005.
- 2005, poster at Finnish Physics Days 2005, 17-19 Mar 2005, Espoo, Finland.
- 2005, poster: A. E. Wallin , J. Lisal & R. Tuma , "Stochastic cooperativity model for molecular motors", 15th IUPAB and 5th EBSA International Biophysics Congress, Montpellier, France, 27 Aug - 1 Sep, 2005
- 2004, poster: Wallin A. and Tuma R., "High Resolution Optical Tweezers for Studying Viral Molecular Motors", International Conference on Biological Physics, Gothenburg, Sweden, 23-27 Aug 2004.
Model Yachting Articles
Various articles, mostly in Finnish or Swedish that I've written for magazines, but usually just for the Finnish radio-sailors' yearly 'Styyra' newsletter.
- Miten menestyä RC-purjehduksessa ?, Styyra 2000, "How to succeed in radiosailing - part 1"
- Miten pärjätä kilpailuissa Osa 2, Styyra 2001, "How to succeed in radiosailing - part 2"
- 1m-rikin strategiset mitat, Styyra 2002, "The Strategic Measurements of an IOM-rig", summarized in my IOM rig-comparison.
- 1m veneen laminointi, Styyra 2002, "Moulding an IOM hull"
- Noux Bulbiprojekti, Styyra 2003, "The Noux keel bulb project", see also Making a Bulb.
- IOM-Lajiesittely, Pienoismalli 2/2004, "An introduction to the IOM-class"
- IOM-MM, Pienosmalli 2/2004, "IOM-Worlds 2003, Vancouver, Canada"
- IOM EM, 7-16.10.2004, Arcos, Espania, Styyra 2004, "IOM Euros, Arcos, Spain" see also Arcos pictures.
- IOM Mastomateriaalit, Styyra 2004, "Mast materials for an IOM"
- IOM PM 2005 Veddelev, Tanska, Styyra 2005, "IOM Nordics, Veddelev, Denmark", see also Veddelev pictures.
- 2005 IOM-MM, Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia, Styyra 2005, "IOM Worlds, Mooloolaba, Australia", see also Mooloolaba pictures.
- IOM-luokan MM, Marseille, Ranska, Pienoismalli 8/2007, "Marseilles IOM-Worlds report"
In Turku with 'Cockatoo' IOM yacht in September 2006.
- 2000: Teaching assistant on "Electrodynamics", UH (roughly the contents of Reitz, Milford, Christy)
- 2001: Teaching assistant on "Measurement methods and instrumentation", UH (Bentley)
- 2001: Teaching assistant on "Ultrasonics", UH
- 2002, 2003, 2004: Teaching assistant on "Electronics", UH (basics of analog and digital electronics, Horowitz & Hill)
- 2002: Lecturer, "Electronics", a one-semester introductory course on electronics, UH
- 2002-2007: Lecturer, "Physics for medical students", a six week course for students trying to get in to medical school, arranged by Thorax r.f. (I taught the physics part of this course, 25 h lectures and 50 h exercises, each spring for six years)
- 2007: Lecturer, UH: (530142) Digitalelektronik I. Basics of digital electronics. (Floyd)
- 2007: I co-supervised Heikki Ojala's M.Sc. thesis "Stiffer Optical Tweezers through Real-Time Feedback Control"
- 2008: A 1 h lecture on "Single Molecule Techniques" as part of the UH course "Nanoscience IV: Bionanoscience"
- 2008: I co-supervised Anders Korsbäck's B.Sc. thesis "Simulation of a proportional position-clamp algorithm for feedback-controlled optical tweezers"
- 2008: I supervised Antti Rahikkala's B.Sc. thesis "Computer Controlled Pressure Controller for Lab-On-Chip Applications"
- 2008, 2009, 2010: Lecturer, UH, Basics of measurement systems. (Sayer & Mansingh and parts of Bentley)
- 2009, 2010, and 2011: 2 hour of lecture on nanoscale force-spectroscopy and single molecule methods on Nanoscience-3: Nanotechniques, a collaboration between UH and AaltoU
- 2009: I supervised Ville Heikkinen's B.Sc. thesis "High-throughput single molecule experiments: tethered particle motion and flow-stretching, data analysis and simulation"
- 2009: I supervised Antti Rahikkala's M.Sc. thesis "Stretching single DNA-molecules with temperature-stabilized optical tweezers"
- 2010: I supervised Kalle Hanhijärvi's M.Sc. thesis "Combined optical trapping and single molecule fluorescence"
- 2007 and 2011: Lecturer, UH: (530190) Methods in Single Molecule Biophysics, (3op/2ov) , Fall 2007, a short course on single molecule biophysics and the various experimental techniques used in this field.
- 2012: I supervised Anders Korsbäck's M.Sc. thesis "Simulation of longitudinal string waves through a single polymer molecule"
- 5.5.1997 - 20.10.1997: Digitizer, Mallon Technology Finland Oy.
- 1.7.1999 - 13.8.1999: Digitizer, Mallon Technology Finland Oy.
- 2000 / 3 months: Research Asistant, University of Helsinki, Department of Physical Sciences.
- 1.1.2003-31.6.2003: Amanuensis (acting), University of Helsinki, Department of Physical Sciences. Maintenance of IT services for the theory department.
- 1.1.2003-31.12.2003: Assistant (acting), University of Helsinki, Department of Physical Sciences. Supervising lab-courses for 1st and 2nd year students.
- 1.1.2004-31.12.2005 Researcher (Graduate Student), University of Helsinki, Institute of Biotechnology.
- 1.1.2006 - 31.12.2007 Employed as a Graduate Student by the Finnish National Graduate School of Nanosciences.
- 1.1.2008 - 31.12.2008 Personal grant from the Jenny & Antti Wihuri foundation.
- 1.1.2009 - 30.6.2011 researcher, funded by Academy of Finland grant to prof. Haeggström, University of Helsinki
- 1.7.2011 - 7.9.2012 postdoc at Department of Physics, University of Helsinki.
- 17.9.2012 -> researcher at the Centre for metrology and accreditation (MIKES)
Grants and Awards
- 1997: The Wahlfors stipend, Gymnasiet svenska normallyceum (graduated top of class)
- 2004: Chancellors travel grant, University of Helsinki
- 2005: Chancellors travel grant, University of Helsinki
- 2007: Chancellors travel grant, University of Helsinki
- 2007: Magnus Ehrnrooth society, travel grant
- 2007: Life Science & Biotechnology Paper Contest Category Winner (with Heikki Ojala as co-author), NIWeek-07, National Instruments, Austin, Texas.
- 2008: Jenny and Antti Wihuri foundation. Grant for pursuing graduate studies, 18 500 €
- 2008: Magnus Ehrnrooth society, travel grant
- 2009: Magnus Ehrnrooth society, travel grant
- 2009: Vilho, Yrjö ja Kalle Väisälän rahasto, travel grant
- 2009-2012: With prof. Edward Haeggström I co-authored an Academy of Finland grant which was awarded 520 k€ funding for 4 years .
Photographing the partial solar eclipse on August 1st, 2008.