Work / Research
Since September 2012 I work at the Centre for Metrology and Accreditation (MIKES) (since 2015 VTT MIKES Metrology) with timekeeping, time&frequency transfer techniques, and the construction of an optical atomic clock.
I'm also interested in computer aided manufacturing, specifically the algorithms behind toolpath calculation and trajectory control of CNC machines with open-source software like LinuxCNC(formerly EMC), and how to calculate toolpaths. I have an experimental C++ library for 3D milling toolpath generation called opencamlib and another for 2D toolpaths called openvoronoi. There's also a separate CAM Page.
You can contact me on anders.e.e.wallin "at" gmail.com
Here follows an informal CV:
- 1997, matriculation examination from Gymnasiet Svenska Normallyceum
- 1997-1998, 11 months of military service in the Finnish Navy.
- 2002, M.Sc. in Physics, University of Helsinki, Department of Physical Sciences.
- 2003-2010, PhD studies in Physics/Biophysics at the University of Helsinki. A joint project between the Department of Physical Sciences and the Institute of Biotechnology.
- 2011, PhD in Physics, University of Helsinki.
- 5.5.1997 - 20.10.1997: Digitizer, Mallon Technology Finland Oy.
- 1.7.1999 - 13.8.1999: Digitizer, Mallon Technology Finland Oy.
- 2000 / 3 months: Research Asistant, University of Helsinki, Department of Physical Sciences.
- 1.1.2003-31.6.2003: Amanuensis (acting), University of Helsinki, Department of Physical Sciences. Maintenance of IT services for the theory department.
- 1.1.2003-31.12.2003: Assistant (acting), University of Helsinki, Department of Physical Sciences. Supervising lab-courses for 1st and 2nd year students.
- 1.1.2004-31.12.2005 Researcher (Graduate Student), University of Helsinki, Institute of Biotechnology.
- 1.1.2006 - 31.12.2007 Employed as a Graduate Student by the Finnish National Graduate School of Nanosciences.
- 1.1.2008 - 31.12.2008 Personal grant from the Jenny & Antti Wihuri foundation.
- 1.1.2009 - 30.6.2011 researcher, funded by Academy of Finland grant to prof. Haeggström, University of Helsinki
- 1.7.2011 - 7.9.2012 postdoc at Department of Physics, University of Helsinki.
- 17.9.2012 -> Research Scientist at the Centre for metrology and accreditation (MIKES). Working with the construction of a single-ion optical atomic clock.
Optical Clock, Time & Frequency
- T. Lindvall, K. J. Hanhijärvi, T. Fordell, A. E. Wallin, "High-Accuracy Determination of Paul-Trap Stability Parameters for Electric-Quadrupole-Shift Prediction", arXiv:2209.02290 and DOI:10.1063/5.0106633 (2022 September)
- P.P.M. Jansweijer, N.A.D. Boukadida, K. Hanhijärvi, A. Wallin, B. Eglin, E. Laier English, "First electrical White Rabbit absolute calibration inter-comparison", arXiv:2201.08640
- K. Hanhijärvi and A.E. Wallin, "Software Defined Radio Based Phase Meter for Frequency Metrology", XXXV Finnish URSI Convention on Radio Science, 2019, Tampere, Finland.
- S Honkala, S Thombre, M Kirkko-Jaakkola, H Zelle, H Veerman, A. E. Wallin, E. F. Dierikx, S Kaasalainen, S Söderholm, H Kuusniemi, "Performance of EGNSS-based Timing in Various Threat Conditions", IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON INSTRUMENTATION AND MEASUREMENT, 2019, (10.1109/TIM.2019.2923485).
- A. Wallin, T. Lindvall, K. Hanhijärvi, "Hajautetut vikasietoiset kelloverkot" (Distributed fault-tolerant clock networks), MATINE tiivistelmäraportti, ISSN 1797-3457, ISBN 978-951-663-049-9.
- M. Merimaa, A. Wallin, "Tarkka aikasynkronointi ja aikalinkit maanpuolustuksessa", (2016), MATINE-hankkeen tiivistelmäraportti, ISSN 1797-3457, ISBN (PDF) 978-951-25-2756-4,
- J Leute, N Huntemann, B Lipphardt, C Tamm, PBR Nisbet-Jones, SA King, RM Godun JM Jones, HS Margolis, PB Whibberley, AE Wallin, M Merimaa, P Gill, E Peik, “Frequency Comparison of 171Yb+ Ion Optical Clocks at PTB and NPL via GPS PPP”, IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control ( Volume: 63, Issue: 7, July 2016 ) (1109/TUFFC.2016.2524988) and arXiv:1507.04754
- M Doležal, P Balling, P Nisbet-Jones, S King, J Jones, H Klein, P Gill, T Lindvall, A Wallin, M Merimaa, C Tamm, C Sanner, N Huntemann, N Scharnhorst, I Leroux, P Schmidt, T Burgermeister, T Mehlstäubler, and E Peik, "Analysis of thermal radiation in ion traps for optical frequency standards" (2015). arXiv:1510.05556, Metrologia, dx.doi.org/10.1088/0026-1394/52/6/842.
- E.F. Dierikx, A.E. Wallin, T. Fordell, J. Myyry, P. Koponen, M. Merimaa, T.J. Pinkert, J.C.J. Koelemeij, H. Peek and R. Smets, "White Rabbit Precision Time Protocol on Long Distance Fiber Links" (2015), TUFFC, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TUFFC.2016.2518122
- T. Fordell, T. Lindvall, P. Dube, A.A. Madej, A.E. Wallin, and M. Merimaa, "Broadband, unpolarized repumping and clearout light sources for Sr+ single-ion clocks", Optics Letters Vol. 40, Iss. 8, pp. 1822–1825 (2015). arXiv:1504.04443 and http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OL.40.001822
- T Fordell, A E Wallin, T Lindvall, M Vainio, and M Merimaa, "Frequency-comb-referenced tunable diode laser spectroscopy and laser stabilization applied to laser cooling", Applied Optics, Vol. 53, Issue 31, pp. 7476-7482 (2014) http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/AO.53.007476
- A Wallin, T Fordell, T Lindvall, and M Merimaa, Progress towards a 88-Sr+ ion clock at MIKES, XXXIII Finnish URSI Convention on Radio Science and SMARAD Seminar 2013
Optical Tweezers and Biophysics
- Heikki Ojala, Gabija Ziedaite, Anders E. Wallin, Dennis H. Bamford, and Edward Hæggström, "Optical tweezers reveal force plateau and internal friction in PEG induced DNA condensation", European Biophysics Journal (2014) doi:10.1007/s00249-013-0941-x
- Anders Korsbäck, Anders E. Wallin, Edward Hæggström, "Simulation of longitudinal string waves through a single polymer molecule" Wave Motion (2013) (doi:10.1016/j.wavemoti.2013.05.005)
- My PhD thesis thesis consists of a summary of four papers: Wallin Anders, "Optical Tweezers for Single Molecule Biology", University of Helsinki 2011, HU-P-D181, ISBN 978-952-10-6879-9 (print), ISBN 978-952-10-6880-5 (PDF). ISSN 0356-0961.
- A. E. Wallin, A. Salmi, and R. Tuma (2007) "Step Length Measurement - Theory and Simulation for tethered Bead Constant-Force Single Molecule Assay", Biophysical Journal (doi:10.1529/biophysj.106.097915) (Open Access on PubMed: PMC1913155)
- A. E. Wallin, H. Ojala, E. Haeggström, and R. Tuma (2008), "Stiffer optical tweezers through real-time feedback control," Applied Physics Letters 92 224104 (doi:10.1063/1.2940339) (Open Access through WRRO)
- H. Ojala, A. Korsbäck, A.E. Wallin, and E. Haeggström, "Optical position-clamping with predictive control", Applied Physics Letters 95 181104 (2009). (doi:10.1063/1.3257693) (Open Access through HELDA: http://hdl.handle.net/10138/14966)
- A. E. Wallin, H. Ojala, G. Ziedaite, and E. Hæggström, (2011), “Dual-trap optical tweezers with real-time force clamp control”, Review of Scientific Instruments 82 083102. (DOI: 10.1063/1.3615309). Also selected for Vir. J. Bio. Phys. Res. 22 (4) (Open Access through HELDA: http://hdl.handle.net/10138/27789) Youtube video: See how Lambda exonuclease shortens DNA held at constant tension.
- Anders E. Wallin, Heikki Ojala, Gabija Žiedaite, Linda Degerth, Dennis Bamford, and Edward Hæggström, High-resolution optical tweezers for investigating DNA binding/translocating molecular motors, Proc SPIE 7400 (2009) (doi:10.1117/12.826470)
- Jelena Telenius, Anders E Wallin, Michal Straka, Hongbo Zhang, Erika J. Mancinid and Roman Tuma, "RNA packaging motor: From structure to quantum mechanical modeling and sequential-stochastic mechanism", Proceedings of the 2nd Mathematical Virology Workshop.
- Anders E. Wallin, Heikki Ojala, Anders Korsbäck, Edward Haeggström, Roman Tuma (2007) "Real-time control of optical tweezers", Proceedings of SPIE, 6644 Optical Trapping and Optical Micromanipulation IV, SPIE Optics and Photonics, San Diego, California, 26 - 30 August 2007. (doi:10.1117/12.737269)
I have reviewed papers for: IEEE TUFFC, Nano Letters, Optics Express, Review of Scientific Instruments (I was on their list of reviewers in 2011 and 2012), Applied Physics B, and IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics.
At Töölönlahti with Italiko IOM yacht in May 2003.
- I gave a talk at the Finnish URSI Convention on Radio Science, "Initial results from the MIKES-Metsähovi time and frequency link", September 7-8, Helsinki, 2017
- P. Defraigne et al., "Demonstrator of Time Services based on European GNSS signals: the H2020 DEMETRA Project", Precise Time and Time Interval Meeting, January 30-February 2, 2017, Monterey, CA
- 2016 November, I gave a talk at ITSF2016 in Prague, "Comparing H-masers over a 280 km White Rabbit link"
- P. Tavella et. al. "The European Project DEMETRA, Timing services based on European GNSS: First experimental results", 2016, 3rd International Workshop on Metrology for Aerospace, Florence, Italy, June 22-23.
- P. Tavella et. al. "Experimental time dissemination services based on European GNSS signals: The H2020 DEMETRA project", 2016 European Frequency and Time Forum (EFTF), http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/EFTF.2016.7477820
- P. Tavella et. al., "The European Project DEMETRA: Demonstrating Time Dissemination Services", 2016, Proceedings of the 47th Annual Precise Time and Time Interval Systems and Applications Meeting
January 25 - 28, 2016, Hyatt Regency Monterey, Monterey, California
- Tavella et. al. "The Horizon 2020 DEMETRA project: DEMonstrator of EGNSS services based on Time Reference Architecture", Metrology for Aerospace (MetroAeroSpace), 2015 IEEE, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/MetroAeroSpace.2015.7180634
- 2016 March, 9th White-Rabbit workshop, NIKHEF, Amsterdam. Talk on recent results and outlook for White Rabbit in time&frequency metrology.
- 2014 November, "Time Transfer in a Wide Are White Rabbit Network", talk at VLBI-Workshop, Groningen, the Netherlands.
- 2014 June, "Time Transfer in a Wide Are White Rabbit Network", talk at EFTF 2014, Neuchatel, Switzerland.
- A.E. Wallin, T. Fordell, T. Lindvall, I. Tittonen, and M. Merimaa, "Trapping and laser cooling of a single Strontium ion", 48th Annual Meeting of the Finnish Physical Society, March 11-13, 2014, Tampere.
- 2013 May, poster on the clock laser for the MIKES ion clock presented at Finnish Optics Days, Helsinki, Finland.
- 2013 April, "Progress towards a 88-Sr+ ion clock at MIKES," talk at XXXIII Finnish URSI Convention on Radio Science and SMARAD Seminar 2013, Espoo, Finland
- 2011, poster at Biophysical Society Annual Meeting, March 5-9, 2011, Baltimore, MD, USA
- 2010, poster at Biophysical Society Annual Meeting, February 20-24 2010, San Francisco, CA, USA
- 2009, contributed talk and paper: "High-resolution optical tweezers for investigating DNA binding/translocating molecular motors", SPIE Optics & Photonics August 2-4, 2009, San Diego, CA, USA.
- 2009, poster at Biophysical Society Annual Meeting, Feb 28 - March 4, 2009, Boston, MA, USA
- 2008, poster at 1st International Symposium on Optical Tweezers in Life Sciences, Berlin, Germany, 15 May 2008.
- 2007 contributed talk and paper: "Real-Time control of optical tweezers", A.E. Wallin, H. Ojala, A. Korsbäck, E. Haeggström, and R. Tuma. SPIE Optics and Photonics, San Diego, California, August 26 - 30, 2007.
- 2007 poster: Wallin, A., Ojala, H., KorsbÃ¤ck, A., Haeggström, E., Tuma, R., "Feedback Controlled Optical Tweezers", Trends in Optical Micromanipulation, Obergurgl, Austria, 4-9 Feb 2007
- 2007, poster at Biophysical Society 51st Annual Meeting, Baltimore, Maryland, 3-7 March 2007
- 2007, poster: A. Wallin and H., "FPGA-Based Real-Time Feedback Control of Optical Tweezers", NIWeek 2007, Austin, Texas, 7-9 August 2007 (My paper was chosen as a category winner in the paper contest!)
- 2007, poster: Wallin, A., Ojala, H., Haeggström, E. and Tuma, R., "Shaping An Optical Trap Using Feedback Control", Finnish Physics Days 2007, Tallinn, Estonia, 15-17 March 2007
- 2007, poster at Nanoscience Days, University of Jyväskylä, Finland, 25-26 October 2007
- 2006, poster: Anders E. Wallin, Ari Salmi, Roman Tuma. "How thermal noise limits resolution in tethered bead, constant force, single molecule experiments - theory and simulation", Biophysical Society 50th Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, Utah, 18-22 Feb 2006
- 2006, contributed talk "Force-extension measurements on single-stranded RNA using optical tweezers", A.E. Wallin, J. Lisal, and R. Tuma, Finnish Physics Days 2006, 9-11 Mar 2006, Tampere, Finland
- 2005, poster: A. Wallin and R. Tuma, "Beam-stabilized High Resolution Optical Tweezers", Biophysical Society 49th Annual Meeting, Long Beach, California, 12-16 Feb 2005.
- 2005, poster at Finnish Physics Days 2005, 17-19 Mar 2005, Espoo, Finland.
- 2005, poster: A. E. Wallin , J. Lisal & R. Tuma , "Stochastic cooperativity model for molecular motors", 15th IUPAB and 5th EBSA International Biophysics Congress, Montpellier, France, 27 Aug - 1 Sep, 2005
- 2004, poster: Wallin A. and Tuma R., "High Resolution Optical Tweezers for Studying Viral Molecular Motors", International Conference on Biological Physics, Gothenburg, Sweden, 23-27 Aug 2004.
Wondering at the amount of snow in June 2003 in Lassen Park
- 2000: Teaching assistant on "Electrodynamics", UH (roughly the contents of Reitz, Milford, Christy)
- 2001: Teaching assistant on "Measurement methods and instrumentation", UH (Bentley)
- 2001: Teaching assistant on "Ultrasonics", UH
- 2002, 2003, 2004: Teaching assistant on "Electronics", UH (basics of analog and digital electronics, Horowitz & Hill)
- 2002: Lecturer, "Electronics", a one-semester introductory course on electronics, UH
- 2002-2007: Lecturer, "Physics for medical students", a six week course for students trying to get in to medical school, arranged by Thorax r.f. (I taught the physics part of this course, 25 h lectures and 50 h exercises, each spring for six years)
- 2007: Lecturer, UH: (530142) Digitalelektronik I. Basics of digital electronics. (Floyd)
- 2007: I co-supervised Heikki Ojala's M.Sc. thesis "Stiffer Optical Tweezers through Real-Time Feedback Control"
- 2008: A 1 h lecture on "Single Molecule Techniques" as part of the UH course "Nanoscience IV: Bionanoscience"
- 2008: I co-supervised Anders Korsbäck's B.Sc. thesis "Simulation of a proportional position-clamp algorithm for feedback-controlled optical tweezers"
- 2008: I supervised Antti Rahikkala's B.Sc. thesis "Computer Controlled Pressure Controller for Lab-On-Chip Applications"
- 2008, 2009, 2010: Lecturer, UH, Basics of measurement systems. (Sayer & Mansingh and parts of Bentley)
- 2009, 2010, and 2011: 2 hour of lecture on nanoscale force-spectroscopy and single molecule methods on Nanoscience-3: Nanotechniques, a collaboration between UH and AaltoU
- 2009: I supervised Ville Heikkinen's B.Sc. thesis "High-throughput single molecule experiments: tethered particle motion and flow-stretching, data analysis and simulation"
- 2009: I supervised Antti Rahikkala's M.Sc. thesis "Stretching single DNA-molecules with temperature-stabilized optical tweezers"
- 2010: I supervised Kalle Hanhijärvi's M.Sc. thesis "Combined optical trapping and single molecule fluorescence"
- 2007 and 2011: Lecturer, UH: (530190) Methods in Single Molecule Biophysics, (3op/2ov) , Fall 2007, a short course on single molecule biophysics and the various experimental techniques used in this field.
- 2012: I supervised Anders Korsbäck's M.Sc. thesis "Simulation of longitudinal string waves through a single polymer molecule"
Grants and Awards
- 1997: The Wahlfors stipend, Gymnasiet svenska normallyceum (graduated top of class)
- 2004: Chancellors travel grant, University of Helsinki
- 2005: Chancellors travel grant, University of Helsinki
- 2007: Chancellors travel grant, University of Helsinki
- 2007: Magnus Ehrnrooth society, travel grant
- 2007: Life Science & Biotechnology Paper Contest Category Winner (with Heikki Ojala as co-author), NIWeek-07, National Instruments, Austin, Texas.
- 2008: Jenny and Antti Wihuri foundation. Grant for pursuing graduate studies, 18 500 €
- 2008: Magnus Ehrnrooth society, travel grant
- 2009: Magnus Ehrnrooth society, travel grant
- 2009: Vilho, Yrjö ja Kalle Väisälän rahasto, travel grant
- 2009-2012: With prof. Edward Haeggström I co-authored an Academy of Finland grant which was awarded 520 k€ funding for 4 years .
In Turku with 'Cockatoo' IOM yacht in September 2006.
Model Yachting Articles
Various articles, mostly in Finnish or Swedish that I've written for magazines, but usually just for the Finnish radio-sailors' yearly 'Styyra' newsletter.
- Miten menestyä RC-purjehduksessa ?, Styyra 2000, "How to succeed in radiosailing - part 1"
- Miten pärjätä kilpailuissa Osa 2, Styyra 2001, "How to succeed in radiosailing - part 2"
- 1m-rikin strategiset mitat, Styyra 2002, "The Strategic Measurements of an IOM-rig", summarized in my IOM rig-comparison.
- 1m veneen laminointi, Styyra 2002, "Moulding an IOM hull"
- Noux Bulbiprojekti, Styyra 2003, "The Noux keel bulb project", see also Making a Bulb.
- IOM-Lajiesittely, Pienoismalli 2/2004, "An introduction to the IOM-class"
- IOM-MM, Pienosmalli 2/2004, "IOM-Worlds 2003, Vancouver, Canada"
- IOM EM, 7-16.10.2004, Arcos, Espania, Styyra 2004, "IOM Euros, Arcos, Spain" see also Arcos pictures.
- IOM Mastomateriaalit, Styyra 2004, "Mast materials for an IOM"
- IOM PM 2005 Veddelev, Tanska, Styyra 2005, "IOM Nordics, Veddelev, Denmark", see also Veddelev pictures.
- 2005 IOM-MM, Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia, Styyra 2005, "IOM Worlds, Mooloolaba, Australia", see also Mooloolaba pictures.
- IOM-luokan MM, Marseille, Ranska, Pienoismalli 8/2007, "Marseilles IOM-Worlds report"
Photographing the partial solar eclipse on August 1st, 2008.
- 2012 June 2nd, Stockholm marathon, 4h 0m 34s (5:42/km)
- 2011 November 5th, Rautaveden maraton, 42.2k, 4h 12m 40s (5:57/km), avgHR157
- 2010 August 14th, Helsinki City Marathon, 42.2k, 4h 42min (6:41/km)
At the finish of a wet and cold Stockholm marathon 2012.
- 2015 July 24th, Jakob-halvmaraton, 21.1k, 1:59:55
- 2012 July 20th, Jakob-halvmaraton, 21.1k, 1:41:52 (4:49/km), avgHR164
- 2011 May 7th, Helsinki City Run, half-marathon, 21.1km, 1:52:57 (5:21/km), avgHR162
- 2010 July 23rd, Jakob-halvmarathon, half-marathon, 21.1km, 1:50:39 (5:14/km), avgHR 164
- 2010 June 12th, Forssan suvi-ilta, half-marathon, 21.1km, 1:57:22 (5:32/km), avgHR 164
- 2010 May 8th, Helsinki City Run, half-marathon, 21.1km, 2:12:59 (6:18/km), avgHR 163