Just had a 2-3 year old SATA drive fail on me. If you're reading this, go and take backups of critical data. Do it. Now.
This is the cnc-mill controller machine so hopefully no critical data was lost. Some notes on the EMC2 install process, just in case I need to do it all over again sometime soon...
- Install WinXP on a 50 Gb NTFS partition
- Installed Ubuntu 6.06LTS from CD. Manual partition, 50 Gb for root file system, 2 Gb for swap.
- Ubuntu update manager suggests 301 updates (278M) to install. I'm in Finland, but strangely my sources.list points me to au.something servers. Reboot.
- Install EMC2 using emc2-install.sh. Reboot.
- 'latency-test' shows reasonable jitter values - good.
- Configure X to enable 1280x1024 resolution: 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'. Answer lots of techy-questions, remember to add the correct screen resolution and the correct keyboard (pc102). I wasn't able to log in the first time I tried this because I had chosen an incorrect keyboard type/layout.